Monday, June 9, 2014

Day 4: Antigua and Jungle Party



     We woke up bright and early today and brought our things downstairs to the terminal where we gave our tickets to the receptionist and waited for the bus to arrive. I had no problems sleeping the night before but Austin told me the ceiling leaked and it kept dripping on him. I’m happy I wasn’t sleeping on his side of the bed! Soon the bus came. It was nice, a lot like an especial but less crowded with people. Crossing the border into Guatemala was interesting. We all had to get out of the bus and show our passports to immigration. After looking at my passport and then back at me, my immigration officer eyed me suspiciously and then went over to a computer for a few minutes. (I have long hair in my passport picture). But he came back and wrote in my passport that I was good to go.

     There were men outside the immigration office and around the buses who would change your money for you into Guatemalan Quetzales. The exchange rate is 7.8 quetzales to a dollar. Well these men would give us an exchange rate of 7 quetzales for a dollar so we decided that we should just change a little bit of money with them just in case we needed it to get to a bank or something. Better safe than sorry. So we changed $20 with them and then got on our bus. 

     We drove the rest of the way to Guatemala City with no problems. When we got off of the bus, there were shuttles right there, run through Tica, that would give us a ride to Antigua (our next destination) for $10 each. This was a perfect scenario. Those prices were very good and we knew it was a safe and reliable shuttle. We got on and within a few hours we were in Antigua. 

     By the time we arrived, we were pretty exhausted. We had heard of one very popular hostel and decided to stay there. If we didn’t like it we could always change the next day. So we asked the shuttle to drop us off in front of Jungle Party Hostel. We booked 2 beds in a dorm room for that night and set our things down. There was still a fair amount of daylight though so we set out to explore Antigua a bit before settling in for the night. 

     Antigua was beautiful. And much larger than I had expected. There was a central park right in the middle of town with a huge fountain, lots of benches and grass all around. We stopped at the first restaurant we came to because it was well past lunch time and Austin was starving. I wasn’t hungry yet though so only he ate. Just a quick plate of spaghetti at a fairly nice restaurant. The prices were a bit better than El Salvador, assuming you don’t eat papusas for every meal there. There were lots of tourist shops too, all selling the bright embroidered bags or purses or shirts or anything you can think of. There were also many people walking the streets selling Jade and Coral jewelry (if you can believe it’s legitimate) or fresh cut fruit, drums, wooden flutes, and all sorts of different souvenirs. We stopped by a bank and they exchanged out money for the exact 7.8 exchange rate. So we swapped out the rest of our money and continued on our way. We saw a pizza place with awesome prices so we stopped there, picked up a pizza and headed back to our hostel. We decided that we would see what Jungle Party had to offer. We talked to our dorm-mates some. Two of the girls were leaving and they had bought more than they could take home. They were reorganizing their things so they could mail what they couldn’t carry. They couldn’t fit a few things in their bags though so I ended up walking away with the first three Harry Potter books. They were the Brittish versions so it’s Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone and the covers are all very different. 

     We then went out into the bar portion of our hostel. We had a few drinks and started talking to people. I sat down with these two men. They were born in Guatemala but had dual citizenship in Switzerland and had been living there the last 5 years. They were both brilliant and it was very fun to talk to them. Alex was the first one I spoke to and he told me all about Switzerland and how different it is than Guatemala and even from the United States. It was intriguing. Eventually we decided to go for a walk around town. Antigua is considered to be very safe at night and so none of us thought too much of it. Alex, his friend, Austin and I set out and I guess others thought it was a good idea too because by the time we were out the door, there were a couple more people tagging along.

     Walking down the street, we passed a man who was selling cocaine. I was a little shocked as no one had ever tried to sell me cocaine before but we all just said no gracias and he moved on. He asked everybody individually though if they wanted cocaine and I don’t know if it was that, or what happened but one of the people who tagged along, an apparently very hot-headed guy, punched the cocaine dealer. Hard. I didn’t see it but Austin did and we took off right then. We went back to the hostel and I stayed up in the dorm, listening for Alex, hoping everyone made it back alright. While I was waiting, I heard a lot of banging and shouting coming from inside the hostel but I wasn’t going to involve myself. I’d had quite enough adventure for one night so I just waited. Eventually I heard Alex’s voice, talking and laughing and so I went to sleep, relieved and very tired after a long, exciting, somewhat scary day.

No comments:

Post a Comment